Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Molly's Reach







"Dance your cares away, worries for another day..."

These famous words are from Fraggle Rock. Part of CBC’s Sunday night line up many years ago when I was burdened by junior high homework. Sunday night seemed to be the default time to do homework. It was always put off and put off again until the heavy ‘Sunday night feeling’ would come. I didn’t want to do the work, and probably didn’t feel like going to school the next day either. I think I actually believed that by watching Fraggle Rock, I could send my worries to another day – or at least put them off for half an hour. Funny thing is, I really didn’t even like Fraggle Rock but it was a welcome distraction.

But alas, “Down the road is where I’ll always be”...the Littlest Hobo came next followed by the Beachcombers. By that time, homework was delayed an hour and a half, and soon it would be time for bed.

‘Wouldn’t it be nice to be in Molly’s Reach? - hot soup, in from the cold, friendly conversation and no homework to do?’ That was the solution – just get to Molly’s Reach and everything would be all right.

Now many years later, I have shrugged the Sunday feeling, but I must have retained a lot of the philosophy from back then. I have a son named Jesse, and a daughter Molly, - no one named Nick or Relic though.

That happy feeling, born out of hopeful, wonderful, fantastic imagination I am sure was present, sub consciously we chose the name Molly for our daughter. I sing this song to her - while she is in her crib and I am beside her in the rocking chair in her room...and there I am so close by- in Molly's reach.